Thursday 18 April 2013

Guides Day Off


Guides day off or you could call it a busman's holiday

With the Tarpon biting so well and Monday being a day off I just had to go fly fishing. My wife Cyd was excited to go as well. On Sunday afternoon after getting done with the boat I came home and while watching the finish of the master's golf tournament tied 6 flies for our trip.

We left before daybreak and headed out near First National Bank way out near the Florida mainland. We poled along in 3 to 4 feet of water looking for any sign of fish. After a couple moves we got into the Tarpon. In the early morning they were rolling and waking and some were just lying motionless suspended just below the surface. The sky was overcast early on and it was really tough to get an accurate cast off. When I was finally able to pole the boat into a small school Cyd was able to make a good cast and hook up. What a thrill for her.The tarpon took the fly right on the surface. After a 30 minute battle Cyd had her 100lb Tarpon at the boat. It is amazing how the 9 foot flyrod can whip a Tarpon just as fast or faster than a shorter rod. I was really happy for her.

Then it was my turn. just drifting around in the midst of the Tarpon I managed to hook 3 and land 2 of them. Cyd took some really good photos.

This is what we like to do on my days off. Really?

We used the Fox Sport Fishing 12 weight 5 piece Tarpon Trek Fly rod on our fish.

Captain Skip Nielsen

Cyd catching her Tarpon on the fly rod

It was a great day of fly fishing

not many days in Tarpon season that I get to fish

sight casting to Tarpon with a fly rod is special

Skip bows his fly rod to the Silver King

No comments:

Post a Comment